Changes in customer shopping behaviours are creating an opportunity for brands to redesign their approach to customer communications. Across multiple categories e-commerce is the main driver growth and all brand functions now need to consider the impact of commerce on their bottom line.
Marketers have access to more data than ever before to optimize their media and have access to a range of new communications channels. Sales teams are facing similar opportunities as commercial agreements become more digitized and as the digital components of joint trade deals become the main factor driving growth.
We are now seeing the convergence of marketing and sales, and Zenith has identified five imperatives that brands need to focus on order to deliver commerce growth. We have identified these imperatives following detailed analysis of consumer and platform data from five partners: GlobalWebIndex, Jumpshot, Criteo, dunhumby and ChannelSight.
Our Five Commerce Imperatives for Marketers are:
- Break down silos – No customer journey is the same, and this requires brands to rethink their organisations
- Leverage the Retail Experience – To build a joint growth plan with a retailer, brands need to evaluate their e-commerce experience in line with customer preference
- Identify Sources of Growth – With Amazon continuing to put commercial pressure on brands to ‘sell-through’, brands need to find other areas of growth
- Exploit Retailer Media – Within each e-retailer environment there are multiple ways for brands to improve media investments
- Enhance your Partnerships – Data and tech advancements provide an opportunity for seamless integrations between brands and retailers